This will serve as the repository of documents for the Core Competencies initiative.
Who | What | Why | When | How | Documents
- Task Force: Doni Bird (Schools), Eve Cuny and Kathy Eklund (Schools), Mary Govoni (Consulting), Leslie Grant (Dental Practice), Leann Keefer (Corporate), Therese Long (OSAP), Kathy Mangskau (Project Coordinator), Don Marianos (Public Health)
- National Advisory Committee:
WHAT (background and purpose)
- OSAP has established a task force to develop Core Competencies as the first step of a comprehensive education and career development program to support the safe and infection-free delivery of oral healthcare to people everywhere.
- The OSAP Infection Prevention and Safety Career Development Program (IPSCDP) will be designed to meet the core competencies (CC) established by the organization.
- Key Points
- Curriculum and process developed in cooperation with credible educational entity and/or agency
- Comprehensive curriculum based upon OSAP's core competencies
- Tiered to address volunteers and entry level personnel to post-doc program personnel
- Globally recognized
- Required measurement of competency
- Curriculum to provide practical implementation guidance
- OSAP would be educational portal to include approved partner programs (extensive network)
- Vision and other documents to describe project
- Currently, there is no available comprehensive process addressing the educational needs of infection prevention and safety professionals in dentistry who wish to receive validated, recognized competency in the discipline. There also is a dearth of recognized dental leaders in infection prevention and safety. OSAP intends to develop and offer an educational curriculum and leadership development process tiered to address the needs of dental educators, consultants, practitioners and industry members who have a desire to demonstrate competency in infection prevention and safety.
WHEN - Conference Calls 1-888-387-8686 code: 8377469#
- Thursday, May 17 at 3 pm ET:
Samples of Core Competencies
- Association of Professionals in Infection Control & Epidemiology (APIC)
- Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD)
- Doctoral Education in Public Health (American Journal of Public Health)
- Web Search of Core Competencies for Infection Prevention
- Certification in Infection Prevention and Control - 2012 Candidate Handbook (CBIC)
- List of Infection Control Resources assembled by K. Eklund
- May 2012 Article Describing New APIC IP Competencies in AJIC