(1) Radiation Safety: This presentation will focus on reviewing the principles of ALARA with traditional film and digital sensors, hand-held devices, and cone-beam CT. The discussion should give participants a better understanding of risk evaluation and safety precautions (infection and radiation).
(2) Laser Safety: The use of laser systems in dentistry continues to expand. While an important new technology for the profession, the use of laser systems can be potentially hazardous to the operator, bystanders or the patient if not properly used. This presentation will address the infection control and safety issues associated with the use of dental lasers.
After attending the radiation safety presentation, participants should be able to:
- Identify areas of possible cross-contamination (lead apron, door knobs, mouse, cabinet tops).
- Describe correct infection control protocols before, during, and after radiographic procedures,
- Discuss the ALARA (As Low As Reasonable Achievable) principle as it pertains to radiographic procedures (conventional, digital, hand-held, and cone beam CT).
- List ways to protect patient and staff from excessive radiation dose,
After attending the laser safety presentation, participants should be able to:
- Describe the infection control and safety issues associated with dental lasers.
- List resources that can be accessed for laser safety.