During the month of April 2013, there were a total of 260 links to news items posted on Daily Updates.
The top news areas included:
- An outbreak of novel avian influenza A (H7N9) in China remained in the news. WHO said the new bird flu strain is "one of most lethal" flu viruses. The avian influenza surge in China spurred vaccine preparations. CDC activated its emergency center over H7N9.
- An Oklahoma oral surgeon whose clinics were deemed unsanitary remained in the news. The focus on this Oklahoma oral surgeon put the spotlight on infection control in dentistry.
- World Health Day was observed
- Several dental infection control breaches around the US made the news
Other noteworthy areas of interest include:
- A special US task force called for routine HIV testing for adults and adolescents
- CDC data revealed that MRSA is dropping in hospitals, but not so much in other places outside the hospital environment
- The Surgeon General endorsed community water fluoridation
- Researchers warned that antibiotics are missing from the US drug research pipeline
- Surgical site infection rates are lower in US when compared to 30 other countries
- The 10th anniversary of the SARS outbreak was observed
- A Nevada jury was asked to award $2.5B for a hepatitis C outbreak
- A New Joint Commission alert addresses medical device alarm safety in hospitals
- US flu activity continued to decline
- A new study concluded that dental bib clips harbor bacteria after disinfection
Back To News Summaries