During the month of August 2009, there were a total of 244 links to news items posted on Newsflash.
The top news areas included:
• Pandemic influenza A (H1N1) remained at the top of the news. The CDC issued various pandemic flu recommendations during August. Pandemic influenza was detected at summer camps in 40 US states. An IOM panel studied health workers' H1N1 PPE needs. WHO reported pandemic influenza in 168 countries. It was predicted that the African continent may be severely impacted by pandemic influenza. Latin American pandemic flu deaths climbed to 1,300. The WHO reported that H1N1 vaccine orders topped 1 billion. Flu strategies put schools on the front lines.
Other noteworthy areas of interest include:
• The AGD supported the FDA ruling on dental amalgam
• Life expectancy in the US reached nearly 78 years
• Childhood immunization rates were reported to be stable and high in the 19-35 month old range
• US healthcare spending for seniors was reported to have increased 30% from 1996 to 2006
• A Chicago based study concluded that in-chair texting was a problem and disruptive to dental treatment
• Twenty-seven cases of hepatitis C in Colorado were now linked to one former surgical technician