| Guide to Safety and Infection Control for Oral Healthcare Missions|
INTRODUCTION | CONTENT | SAMPLE PAGES | ORDER A COPY
OSAP's Guide for Safety and Infection Control for Oral Healthcare Missions contains 52 pages of advice, suggestions, and sample forms and worksheets (also supplied on CD) to help keep dental workers and patients safe while rendering humanitarian aid in nontraditional care settings in developing lands.
Drawing its suggestions from the observations and experiences of actual mission workers, the book offers a number of practical solutions to potential problems.
- Is the local water quality questionable? Use waterless hand rubs for hand hygiene.
- No electricity to run your autoclave? Follow the instructions for using a pressure cooker.
- How can we set up the treatment area? Consider available natural and artificial light sources to find the best position for the patient's head. Use this point to define the rest of the treatment area.
Download a free copy or order a bound hard copy that includes a CD with customizable forms for a nominal fee. Also, thanks to the OSAP Foundation, there is a free download available. The download version does not have the customizable forms CD. (Adobe Acrobat required).
Want to contribute to the OSAP Foundation? Contributions to the OSAP Foundation support the development of tools such as the above Guide for Safety and Infection Control for Oral Healthcare Missions and other educational programs.
Back to Top
Divided into five sections and 12 appendices, OSAP's Guide for Safety and Infection Control for Oral Healthcare Missions
takes traveling dental team members from advance preparation through
filing an after-action mission report, addressing team health and
safety, infection control, and waste management and disposal along the
and forms from the book also are provided on the enclosed CD as
editable Portable Document Format ("PDF” -- Acrobat Reader) files so you
can email them to team members and complete them on your computer.
Sample forms and checklists include:
- Main Checklist to take users from initial trip planning to post homecoming paperwork
- Instrument Calculation Tool to find the right balance between supplies and patient load
- Site Evaluation Checklist to ensure safe, effective set-up
- Patient Medical Review Form for gathering pertinent patient information
- Worker Health Information Form for vaccination, health history, and emergency contact information
- Emergency Medical Release Form to ensure prompt medical treatment when needed
- Treatment for Exposures because proper management reduces the risk of disease transmission
- Exposure Follow-Up: Returning Home includes reminders for follow-up evaluation and testing
- Sterilization and High-Level Disinfection: Available Methods and Chemical Agents lists traditional and nontraditional means of making instruments safe for reuse
- Oral Care Humanitarian Mission Briefing to keep all team members organized and in the loop
- After-Action Mission Report to provide a record of trials and tribulations for consideration during planning of the next mission
- Selected Resources for aid workers around the world
Back to Top
HERE are Sample Pages from OSAP's Guide for Safety and Infection Control for Oral Healthcare Missions
Back to Top
Order A Copy
Order a Copy HERE
Back to Top